Looking Local is a tech company developing SaaS products for the UK public sector, principally in the local government, health and care sectors.
This role focuses on the BetterCare Finance product, a web application that enables citizens to self-assess their financial contributions towards various types of care (residential, non-residential, respite). Users are guided through self-assessment forms and can upload evidence to support their claims.
This technology frees up local authority resources to focus on the most vulnerable and complex cases, ensuring they get the attention and assistance they need.
About the role
We are looking for a talented, productive and disciplined software engineer with a minimum of five years commercial application development.
Key to this effort is maintaining an exemplary level of code quality and test coverage to enable safe refactoring as new calculations are integrated.
The role is primarily focused on business logic implementation, but there may be a minimal amount of UI maintenance.
We encourage applicants who wish to engage on a fixed-term contract or permanent employment basis, depending on candidate preference.
- Onboarding new customers by integrating their requirements into the product codebase, maintaining coverage of automated test suites.
- Collaborating with product managers to take new product features from conception to production.
- The application of secure coding practices to continually maintain a high level of application security.
- Participation in peer code review.
- Candidates must have the legal right to work in the UK (with immediate effect) and are expected to be ordinarily resident in the UK throughout their contract/employment period.
- A passion for writing secure, clean, maintainable code with a high level of automated test coverage.
- Experience operating a structured Git workflow.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in a fully remote team.
We will favour candidates with some or all of the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related discipline.
- Experience of developing and maintaining APIs and/or libraries.
- Experience of mentoring junior software engineers.
- Familiarity with secure coding practices (e.g. OWASP, NIST).
- Enthusiasm for a wide range of programming languages.
- Exposure to AngularJS.
- Community contributions, e.g. public Github repos, Stack Overflow etc.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Salary: £300.00-£400.00 per day
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
Supplemental pay types:
- Yearly bonus
- Please propose how you can best evidence of your skills and experience to us.
- Bachelor’s (preferred)
- Professional application development: 5 years (required)
- Right to work in the UK (required)